Thursday, March 19, 2009

Food Portraiture

It's spring, love is in the air, and I'm returning to the simple. Not a simple sonnet, not a single rose, but portaiture, through photography, of food items. In light of the simple, I'm going to try and write this up in 9 minutes or less.


Tonight, a friend invited me over to her place for a surprise party for her boyfriend. Today is his name day (Giuseppe), so we all gathered to surprise him and eat these ridiculously delicious sin balls, zeppole. Leave it to a Mediterranean culinary culture to create a pastry that should get a once-a-month self exam. These are Italian treats only created once a year for the name day celebrations of lucky Giuseppes in the Italian diaspora. I couldn't photograph the inside of the pastry, because that would necessitate me admitting the reason to a party comprised of two couples and a guy who used the ambiguous "we" pronoun a lot.


Above, getting flashed (double entendre). They were some of the most delightful treats I've ever had, partially because they were composed of large amounts of flour, sugar, ricotta cheese, and maraschino cherries.

I have only two minutes left, but want to note I didn't get green beer on St. Patrick's Day in case anyone was waiting for that cliffhanger to be resolved.


But, I found out that Irish beer photographs just fine. And close up.


I know I'm approaching culinary minutae, but there is something comforting in the simple pleasures of looking at photographed food. Or perhaps I'm just too downtrodden to make jokes about how my beer is other colors than green. Time's up.

1 comment:

CDB said...

I found you! Reading you makes me deliciously hungry.. I hope that's the point!

Great seeing you this weekend, and can't wait for the picture of Irish breakfast..