Sunday, August 24, 2008

It worked

I had a real party for the first time in my life. Other parties I've had have consisted of people who already knew each other. Who were eating pizza. Who were celebrating a sports event together. But this was a party from scratch, themed, timed, assembling people from past and present. It was strange: what happens when college friend talks to work friend? when people start analyzing my DVD collection? when memories from the past are dredged up in front of colleagues? But diverse friends chatted, seemed reasonably entertained, and stayed, which I was afraid wouldn't happen. However, the intersection between food and love isn't an arbitrary nexus created for this blog, as it informed nearly every event during the evening. For me, it was waiting for the invitee who didn't show up, and who made me shrug my shoulders asking what I was waiting for and why. It was observing guests' reticence or eagerness to attend my party depending on their relationship status or complications to their relationship status. I can't wax profound after barely washing my eye makeup off and packaging leftovers in tupperware, but food and drinks brought us together to talk about love... I met two colleagues' fiance/fiancees, I discussed another's reunion with an old flame, with another I discussed his falling away with the church he grew up in, and with others, we discussed what we're really looking for, in temporary and long-term mates. However it's fascinating to see how love was an undercurrent of the party's explicit and implicit themes. What does it signify for a romantic relationship between colleagues if they are overt in their affection? What happens if there is conflict between guests over misinterpreted intentions? What does it mean that a plaintitive theme among nearly all guests was that we are all in some various stage of advancement or maintenance of some romantic goal? I guess I started with profound and will regress to details tomorrow, after I hike Old Rag, evidently.

No comments: